Saturday, January 16, 2010

Florida Memoirs - Tahani's Blessing






It's mid January already, and Ironman seems but a dream. It's difficult to know where to start so I'll breifly bring you all up to date and then follow with Tahani's incredible story of survival.

We left Panama City in a hurry the Tuesday after the Ironman because storms were brewing in the Gulf and we were told by the locals it best to leave as soon as possible. I can barely remember the ride to Clearwater, I was still exhausted and could hardly get out of the car because of the soreness throughout my entire body. We eventually settled into our condo in Clearwater...the very same building where my dear friend Maggie lives. It was great to have someone there to greet us. We had a lovely time in Clearwater getting into our routine of exercise (not training),visiting and scouting around the area.

Highlights in Florida:


  • Clearwater Championship 70.3 Triathlon (1/2 Ironman---1.2 mile swim/56 mile bike/13.1 mile run)


  • Dinners with Maggie in the middle of the week





  •     Thanksgiving with Laila, Janeche, Omar and Sarah (I have family!)     and wishing Magda, Tahani and Aziza were present to share in the memories of the sunny, funny days when all the cousins lived together.








  • Elegant dinner with Janeche in her beautiful condo-memories galore!


  • Visits with friends, Pat and Debbie from Seattle, who winter in Florida

  • Getting my Ironman tattoo with Lenore



  • Views from the condo-outstanding!




  • Bike rides on the Suncoast Trail with Mike, Lenore and Molly


  • Sunny days, long rainy/cloudy days


  • Reconnecting with Bernie, Ginger...more running friends from 20 yrs ago


  • Dinner and piano bar evening with Bernie and her husband Mike



So all and all, it was a great time. I always feel at home in Florida even though I moved away in 1992..hard to beleive, time has slipped away so quickly. 





We took our taxi to the airport on Christmas day, not knowing that in a very few hours, our lives would change forever.  I got the call in the airport that Tahani was in the ICU somewhere in Los Angeles.  My heart and my life stopped right there.  The voice on the other end was calmly telling me she would be fine, not to worry. She had taken in after she called 911 and subsequently had emergency surgery to repair a brain aneurysim.  When I hung up the phone, I was shaking head to toe and feeling numb at the same time.  I called Magda immediately and we decided we would go to LA together as soon as I arrived back in Seattle. Once home, it took some research and diligent effort to locate exactly which hospital Tahani was in.  Next day Magda and I took a morning flight to LA.  When we arrived, we hailed a cab and went directly to the hospital.  It was the best $ 80 I ever spent.  All I wanted to do was see Tahani and hold her and know she was okay.  In the days following we learned how very lucky she was to have survived this ordeal.  In fact, the more we learned, the more we would catorgorize the event as a small miracle. The facts:

1. Tahani called 911 when she felt a rush to her head and her leg went numb.  By the time the paramedics got there the symptoms were gone, and her vitals were normal.  Upon her insistance, they took her to the emergency room.  She saved her own life by doing so. Miracle.
2. The CT scan revealed a brain aneuryism and emergency surgery was preformed by the leading specialist in the area. Rather than a craniotomy , he did a non evasive procedure which entailed going through her groin and doing arthroscopic surgery to stop the bleeding.  Miracle.
3. People rarely survive and if they do they there is the likelihood of getting a stroke, especially dangerous at a younger age.  Tahani did not. Miracle. 

I must say, she had excellent care, excellent doctors. I love them all.  They insisted she stay in the ICU for observation for at least 2 weeks to be sure that if she did have a stroke, it would be taken care of immediately minimizing the effects.  She was hooked up to everything..this was not fun, and there was considerable pain to her head but she stuck it out like a trooper.  I was very proud of her.  Magda and I walked to and from the hospital, which, as it turned out, was only 2 miles away.  Magda was a wonderful, supportive big sis and unselfishly made sure I was okay as well. I love her for coming and being there.  The days were long and boring, but we didn't mind one bit. Our Tahani was alive and doing well.  At long last, Tahani was released with instructions to administer medications every 4 hours.  Again, an ordeal, because the meds were very strong which caused insomnia, weakness, exhaustion among other symptoms.  We spent the days talking and connecting like we never have before.  We are a changed family. We appreciate each other, we love each other more than ever..this miracle has brought us together.  Thank you Lord.
As a bonus, we got to visit with Pj several times.  Needless to say, I will be in LA a lot more this year and for years to come. Did I mention, that until Magda and I arrived, Eric (Pj's dad) took the time to see that Tahani had everything she needed in the hospital while his wife Lauren spent most of an afternoon in traffic to bring Pj over for a visit. They are so very thoughtful and  I can never thank them enough.





Pics in LA


Magda : On one of our many walks to the hospital



This little lady was standing out in front of her house..her name is Teresa and she sells plants, she said 'to feed the children', as you can see by the sign behind Magda. 




On one day Pj came to visit and we went for a hike in Griffith Park, which is only a mile or two from Tahani's apartment.  Yes, that's the famous Hollywood sign Pj is holding up!


Magda and Pj climbing stairs in the Hollywood Hills near Tahani's place



Pj and Granny

Pretty as a picture, Magda

Beachwood Drive...beautiful homes


Beautiful flowers and plants everywhere...it's a California thing

More views of Beachwood Drive where I ran or walked every day.  So pretty and right in the city of LA.
Last but not least, our Tahani who we love so very much. 


8 comments:

  1. We too are so thankful; not only that Tahani is alive and well, but for the tighter bonds you have with each other. Kinda puts life in persective. Thank you for sharing and helping us to stay connected. Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kim. It is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved seeing the pictures of the girls. Really enjoyed our talk this weekend. I am relieved and grateful, too, my friend. Hugs to everyone.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Maggie. Looking forward to our talks every week...next time I'll give you a chance to say something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unbelievable story! That had to have been the scariest thing to go through (for you and Tahani). It does not surprise me a bit to hear that she made it through her surgery and hospital stay like a trooper. It seems very much her character to take things in stride, even a near death experience. So happy to hear all is well. Hope to see you this weekend.
    Love, Lia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sending me a link to your blog, Mona. A very beautiful account of a beautiful family. I am so glad that things are normalizing, and a shift in perspective can be such a blessing.

    Thank you again for letting the boys and I into your lives.

    Love,
    The Other Lia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your words of kindness!
    Tahani

    ReplyDelete